Once upon a time back in 2003 when LinkedIn launched, it was simply seen as a place where you posted your CV – then pretty much ignored until you were in the market for a new job opportunity.
And it’s fair to say there will still be a proportion of those 546 million professionals listed on LinkedIn who haven’t evolved their profile much beyond that.
To make the most of your profile you have to begin with a suitable photo, yet surprisingly a quick scroll through reveals lots of people have no photo at all. There goes a good chance to make a first impression – (though it’s debatable if this is worse than some of the pictures you come across)…
So, here’s our top tips to help you get more out of this professional networking platform.
Top tips – your profile
- Adding a photo to your profile makes you 36 times more likely to receive a message on LinkedIn
- Profiles with photos get 21 times more profile views
- Listing 5 or more skills in your LinkedIn profile will mean up to 17 times more profile views
- Profiles with professional headshots get 14 times more profile views
- Optimise your URL (to customize the URL on your LinkedIn profile on your profile page, click Edit Public Profile & URLon the right. Then under Edit URL, click the Edit icon next to your public profile URL. Enter your name without spaces and click Save) and your headline (this appears directly under your name).
Top tips – how to grow your connections
- The more first-degree connections you have, the more second and third-degree connections you have (don’t panic – you can adjust your user settings to “protect” your connections so that nobody else can see or access them (even your 1st degree connections), along with your personal email, phone and so on).
- Post status updates regularly (ideally daily)
- Engage with your connections’ updates
- Personalize your connection requests
- Add your LinkedIn URL to your email signature
- If you have an email database, you can import customer emails or email marketing lists and synchronize your email contacts with LinkedIn
- Join and participate in LinkedIn groups
- Add keywords to your profile
Top tips – your posts
- Users are 11 times more likely to read or click an article when you include a photo/video
- Quotes and stats tend to receive higher engagement
- How-to and list posts should be considered for optimum performance
- Long-form content gets the most shares (700 words+)
- Ensure imagery matches the messaging
- Posts split into 5, 7 or 9 sub-headings perform the best
- Articles with titles between 40-49 characters are most likely to work well
Top tips – your company page
- Companies with complete information get 30% more weekly views
- Include branded imagery to give your posts a slick and consistent look
- Use your company leaders to put a human face alongside key messaging
- If you have different business services, use showcase pages to give each its own unique space (see more on these below)
- Measure what’s working – and what isn’t – by using LinkedIn Analytics
Top tips – showcase pages
- Great content for these pages include how to’s, industry articles and case studies
- Add images/video to make your posts stand out
- Try and post regularly (daily if possible)
- You can create up to 10 showcase pages for your company page (click on the admin tools menu on your company page to do this)
Whether you’re just getting started on LinkedIn or have already used it as a salesperson or recruiter, changing your LinkedIn profile based on these tips will ultimately help get you noticed and help develop business leads.
And if you’d like some help with your social media marketing campaigns simply call us on 0333 0096266 or pop in!